“The facts and (the journalist’s) assertion are starkly different.”
Sohn Suk-hee, the president of JTBC’s news reporting division, appeared on television in an attempt to clear his name of assault allegations.
The assault allegations come from a police report that a freelance journalist made on Thursday. According to the report, the incident took place as a Japanese-style in the Sangam neighborhood in Mapo district of Seoul around 11:50 p.m. on the 10th.
While there, president Sohn reportedly hit the journalist in the face and beat them several times throughout the night. To substantiate their claim, the journalist submitted three week’s worth of medical reports that document their injuries.
When the news of the alleged assault erupted, JTBC revealed Sohn’s position in an official press release: “What the other party claims is not true at all.”
According to Sohn, the journalist illegally asked him for a job, but when it didn’t work out, the journalist threatened him. Apparently, this was the second request of the day. Sohn claims that on the same day the journalist made the same request, but he refused. In response, the other party grew angry and over-excited. Further, the president said that him tapping the journalist on the hand was the only physical contact between the two.
Surprisingly, this is not the first time that the two have met. Reportedly, the two first made contact in April 2017. Months later in summer was when the journalist allegedly made their first job request and has done so regularly since then. However, Sohn claims that when he told the journalist that all workers, regular or contracted, have to comply with company regulations, they suddenly demanded a large sum of money.
Translated by O.C